Dynamic Life Drawing #3Graphite pencil, charcoal, ink, pen, aquarelles
Places are limited to 12 students for all workshops.
15–16 February 2020
Explore the inner dynamics of the human form to discover the connection between ‘gesture’ and ‘structure’.
The ability to ‘read the pose’ is a key factor in bringing ‘life’ to your life drawings. During this two day workshop, the inner dynamics of the human will be explored to discover the connection between ‘gesture’ and ‘structure’. Via quick sketches and sustained studies using a variety of mediums, beginning with charcoal and graphite, a greater understanding of the expressive qualities of line and tone will be developed. Fundamental elements used by the great artists for centuries will be explored.
About the tutor
Born in 1955, Noel Thurgate has been exhibiting since 1975 in shows ranging from the Young Contemporaries, The Archibald Prize, Kedumba Drawing Prize and numerous solo and group exhibitions. He is an artist with over 30 years’ experience in teaching drawing, predominantly figure and landscape. This included 9 years as Head of Drawing at the National Art School, Sydney.
He is represented in State, Regional, Institutional and many private collections and was a finalist in the 2017 and 2018 Archibald Prize.
Hi is currently teaching drawing P/T at the NAS, Noel lives and works in Sydney.
Cancellation / Refund Policy
We will work with very basic dry mediums: graphite pencil, willow charcoal and charcoal pencil. Emphasis will be on line and linear exploration.
We will expand into water based mediums: brush and ink, pen and wash, aquarelles.
- 4B or 6B graphite pencils
- willow charcoal 6 to 8 mm thick (not too thin)
- medium to soft charcoal pencils
- block rubber
- A2 Cartridge paper pad: this workshop will involve a lot of quick drawing so a good quantity of paper is essential.
- additional A1 or A2 cheap paper (newsprint or butchers paper)
- water soluble graphite block or pencil
- black ‘aquarelle’ pencil or crayon, OR Artgraf Carbon Block black (water soluble)
- 25mm flat soft brush suitable for watercolours or ink
- a medium sized soft, round ‘Chinese’ brush (not bristle brushes used for oil painting)
- conte pencils
- 2 small containers for water and mixing
- A2 or A3 Pad suitable for pen and wash or watercolour.
Materials supplied by the tutor
Noel will bring a supply of black ink as well as an assortment of brushes suitable for this type of drawing. The brushes will be on loan.
NEVER PURCHASED ONLINE BEFORE?
It is far easier and quicker to pay for a product or service on a website with PayPal or credit cards.
CAW has set up a simple form below to allow you to book your workshop and pay immediately. You will receive an email confirming your booking and payment.
You may either:
- Create a PayPal account in the 'THE PAYPAL OPTION' section below.
- Go to the form and select 'Credit card' in the 'Payment methods' and a payment area will appear for you to add your name — then click 'Submit' and complete your credit/debit card infomation.
Our 'count-down' shows you how many spots are still available for this class. It reduces after every booking.
THE PAYPAL OPTION
You can be refunded with Buyer Protection if something goes wrong. Receive an email receipt.
If you wish to setup a PayPal account: click the button.